Despite me vowing to eat healthy in the run up to Christmas (oh that’s right, I said the blasphemous ‘C’ word…Christmas, right?), the cold weather always has me craving comfort food – and what’s more comforting than cauliflower cheese?!
I like to think this is sort of good for you, as I pack it full of leeks and broccoli too. I don’t like broccoli much on its own, but when it’s covered in steaming hot cheesy sauce that’s masking the entire flavour, well we get along JUST FINE.
Dish yourself a hefty portion, snuggle up on the sofa and feast upon the cheesy goodness.
You will need
- 1/2 a large cauliflower
- 1/2 a large broccoli
- 100g strong cheddar, grated
- 2 leeks
- 400ml milk
- 2 tbsp flour
- 40g butter
- An oven proof dish
Let’s cook it!
- Cut your cauliflower and broccoli into chunks, and finely chop your leeks.
- Bring a pan to the boil and drop in your cauliflower and broccoli. Boil for 5-7 minutes or until soft.
- In a separate pan fry off your leeks in a generous knob of butter.
- Once everything is softened, drain and pour the leeks, cauliflower and broccoli into an oven proof dish.
- Preheat your oven to 200°C. Put your saucepan back on the heat and add flour, milk and butter.
- Remember to whisk it fast – this is the part I always find tricky!
- Once the flour disappears and the sauce begins to heat up and thicken, remove it from the heat.
- Grab a good helping of cheese, sprinkle in and stir. Pour your white sauce over the cauliflower, broccoli and leeks.
- Now go ahead and add more cheese on top. You can NEVER have too much.
- Bake for around 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.
Don’t forget if you’re having this on its own and not as a side, it’s nice to have some crusty or toasted bread with it to mop up all the sauce.