Ah, Halloween! The time for binge-watching horror movies, carving pumpkins and of course, making spooky-inspired treats!
These spider cupcakes were easy to put together and tasted dreamy (if a little on the sickly side – but I’m not complaining). All credit to Pinterest for the inspiration, that place really is the glue that holds my blog together.
Whether you’re throwing a SPOOKtacular (sorry not sorry) Halloween party or simply want to have a bit of fun and get in the spirit of fright night, try whipping up these hair-raising treats!
YOU WILL NEED
FOR THE CUPCAKES
( I actually used muffin cases – this made the cupcakes slightly bigger so I had room for the legs and bodies!)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 120g self raising flower
- 175 unsalted butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 60g 70% cocoa powder
- 5 tablespoons of boiling hot water
- 12 muffin cases
- A muffin tray
- FOR THE ICING
- 60g butter, softened
- 250g icing sugar
- Candy eyes (I got mine from Tesco!)
- A pack of Oreo biscuits
- Writing icing (I got this one!)
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Sift the cocoa powder into a bowl and add 5 tablespoons of boiling water.
- Stir until it turns to a thick syrup like consistency.
- Add the butter and sugar to the cocoa powder and cream together.
- Break in the eggs and beat, then sift in your flour and fold it into the mixture.
- Spoon teaspoons of the mixture into muffin cases, and bake for 10-12 minutes (depending on your oven temperature!).
- Remove from cases and set aside to cool.
- For the icing, mix in the icing sugar and butter and add vanilla extract.
- Ice the cupcakes using a flat knife to smooth out the edges.
- To decorate, first pipe the ‘legs’ onto the cupcakes, then break an Oreo in half (careful as these are very fragile!) and use a little buttercream to stick the eyes on.
- Admire your work, then run away in fear. Cos, spiders!!!
Fancy another sweet treat?
Will you be baking any spooky goodies this Halloween?